A Place to Call Home
Expanding the Arts. Enhancing the Experience.
Thibodaux Playhouse, Inc. was founded in 1960 as a non-profit community theatre for the purpose of producing and performing plays for the benefit of the citizens of Thibodaux and surrounding areas.
Over its 57 year history, Thibodaux Playhouse has produced over 200 plays and performed at various venues including Nicholls State University (1960-67), the Old Park Inn Restaurant (1967-73), the Old Dixie Movie Theatre (1973-83), and the Percy-Lobdell Building (1983-92). That building became part of the Martha Sowell Utley Memorial Community Center and, later, a Branch of the National Park Service. Thibodaux Playhouse has been the principal resident of the Wetlands Acadian Cultural Center Theatre, a part of Jean Lafitte National Historical Park & Preserve, since 1992. The bulk of its planning and ensuing rehearsals, however, take place off site at Thibodaux Playhouse Headquarters located at 1120 Caroline Street.
On March 29, 2014, the Playhouse launched its ambitious vision - the construction of a single facility that would grant our community theatre unlimited access and greater flexibility in its goal to expand the performing arts while providing its patrons with an enhanced theatre experience. Plans include:
- Black Box Theatre - Separate from the main stage, a more intimate Black Box Theatre will provide a venue for visual, performing, and literary artists to showcase their talent.
- Classic Movie Night - Interested in a romantic evening, a night out with friends, or something for the whole family? Classic Movie Night promises something for everyone!
- Culinary Art - Add the pleasure of culinary art to your theatre-going experience. A well equipped caterer's kitchen will support dinner theatres, banquets, and events.
- Youth Wing - TPI, Jr. encourages area youth to embrace the performing arts. A Youth Wing will provide an ecucational environment that fosters creativity in kids aged 7-15.
- Concession Bar - Set in the main lobby, the concession bar provides the perfect meeting place. Enjoy a glass of wine before the show, during intermission, or after curtain call.
- Meetings & Receptions - Equipped with the latest in audio visual technology, the Thibodaux Playhouse Theatre facility will offer the ideal setting for business meetings or private events.
We recognize that the construction of a new, state-of-the-art facility is a long term project. We are currently focusing on the first phase of this endeavor, namely raising funds and creating awareness. Thibodaux Playhouse hosted its first-ever fundraiser at Laura Plantation on March 29, 2014 and introduced its annual Trivia Night Fundraising Event the following Season. More events are being planned thanks to the efforts of our Fundraising Committee.
The success of our vision, however, will greatly depend upon generous donations from community members and local businesses, corporate sponsorships, and grants awarded for the purpose of outfitting the new facility.
Officially announcing plans for a new home on March 29, 2014, Thibodaux Playhouse unveiled the above conceptual drawing by
Kevin Gros, Architect, AIA that replicates the façade of the Grand Theatre, a nostalgic Thibodaux landmark that was demolished in 1995.
We look forward to the creative growth that the construction of our own venue will afford. With your financial support, Thibodaux Playhouse will evolve into an artistic hub within our community for the enrichment of future generations.